The Overhead Side Stability Press is a core stabilization exercise. The overhead lateral resistance places tremendous demand on the internal and external obliques. This exercise requires appropriate load selection. It must be challenging enough to effectively fire the intended muscle groups yet not so heavy that it erodes technique. You’ll know it’s too heavy if you’re unable to drive and maintain a straight line with the handle as it travels overhead.
- Ensure cable column aligns horizontally with the overhead position of your hands in a tall kneeling position.
- Hold the handle at the top of your sternum with both knees secure on top of a small mat.
- Establish a position with your shoulders stacked over top your hips.
- Slowly lift handle upward without any change in your posture.
- Pause momentarily as your hands reach the peak of the position asserting total control of your core.
- Your position and posture should appear unaffected at the top of the movement.
- Lower with control before beginning the next repetition.